In the heart of Colorado’s Sawatch Range, Knapp Ranch is propelled by a vision to preserve the land, water, and wildlife in a rustic and timeless setting.
Download Printable PDF
The Seasonal Orchard Intern will manage our high-altitude orchard test site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect the orchard for overall health
- Prune trees according to best practices
- Record and track data on a weekly basis using scientific methodology
- Establish and care for healthy understory growth, grass, and base of trees
- Look for evidence of diseases, pests and other disturbances to orchard potential
- Update maps
- Build and manage bug hotel and pollinator garden
- Work with ranch staff on problem solving irrigation issues and satisfying water requirements
Knowledge and Skills that may be acquired:
- Learn orchard management skills
- Learn how to trouble shoot irrigation issues
- Gain hands-on experience about successes and pitfalls of growing a high-altitude orchard
Benefits of Interning at Knapp Ranch:
- Opportunity to gain experience in other Knapp Ranch disciplines such as agriculture, forestry, wood working, apitherapy and chicken husbandry
- Work in a friendly, hard working environment with coworkers who share your passions
- Work in one of the most beautiful and inspiring landscapes in the world
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
Possible caretaking of chickens and dogs available if interested. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Mid May-Aug. Possibility to visit orchard once a month during dormancy (approx. Sept. to April) to address any issues and to observe and document orchard health
- Approximately 32 hours a week
- $15/hr; possible housing included
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Must take direction well
- In depth study of and hands on experience with orchards
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow through on tasks
- Ability to work independently but communicate as needed for guidance and clarification
- Must be trustworthy, reliable, and hardworking
- Must be able to do physically demanding work and lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Must be able to work safely outdoors and in all weather conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Knapp Ranch has a no smoking policy. The employee will have exposure to the following:
- Frequent exposure to outdoor and unfavorable weather conditions, i.e. Outside weather conditions include rain, snow, and summer heat of 70-85 degrees.
- Exposure to dirt, dust, etc. can be expected.
- Exposure to fumes, odors and hazards associated with farm equipment can be expected.
Knapp Ranch is located 20-30 minutes from Edwards up a steep dirt road.
Candidate will be provided with work gloves, and uniform including a sweatshirt and t-shirts. Clean pants and work boots required.
Please note that your employment with West Lake Creek Company constitutes “at will” employment. As a result, you are free to resign at any time, for any reason or for no reason. Similarly, West Lake Creek Company is free to terminate its employment relationship with you at any time, with or without cause.