In the heart of Colorado’s Sawatch Range, Knapp Ranch is propelled by a vision to preserve the land, water, and wildlife in a rustic and timeless setting.
Download Printable PDF
The Seasonal Beekeeper will participate in caring for colonies of honeybees for the production of honey as well as pollination services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect the colonies
- Look for evidence of a laying queen
- Watch for signs of swarming
- Ensure sufficient food reserves
- Observe broods and keep colony records
- Inspect and report on hive health concerns
- Look for signs of diseases and pests
- Ensure sufficient hive production and maturity
- Clean and maintain inside and outside of the hives and beekeeping equipment
- Construct hives and replace combs
- Collect and package any hive products including honey, beeswax and pollen
- Prepare colonies for both production and wintering during season changes
- Participate in ongoing research and development
- Participate in/lead education seminars and tours with children and adults
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Mid May-end of Oct (exact dates TBD). Possibility for full time year around
- Full Time
- $20-25/hr DOE
Required Skills and Experience:
- Must take direction well
- Two-five years of experience with bees
- Excellent people skills
- Demonstrate safe practices
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow through on tasks
Ability to work independently but communicate as needed for guidance and
- Must be trustworthy, reliable, and hardworking
- Must be able to do physically demanding work and lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Must be able to work safely outdoors and in all weather conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Knapp Ranch has a no smoking policy. The employee will have exposure to the following:
- Frequent exposure to outdoor and unfavorable weather conditions, i.e. Outside weather conditions include rain, snow, and summer heat of 70-85 degrees.
- Exposure to dirt, dust, etc. can be expected.
- Exposure to fumes, odors and hazards associated with farm equipment can be expected.
Knapp Ranch is located 20-30 minutes from Edwards up a steep dirt road.
Candidate will be provided with work gloves, and uniform including a sweatshirt and t-shirts. Clean pants and work boots required.
Please note that your employment with West Lake Creek Company constitutes “at will” employment. As a result, you are free to resign at any time, for any reason or for no reason. Similarly, West Lake Creek Company is free to terminate its employment relationship with you at any time, with or without cause.